CNN told employees after the last round of massive cuts not to worry…that this was a one-term most voluntarily restructuring.
They bashed the media who smelled blood in the water and who reported that more layoffs were coming.
CNN trashed the rumors and now they are finally admitting they are true. Seems after the Mueller report CNN is feeling the heat.
From Fox News: Sanjay Gupta is safe, but much of the rest of CNN’s Atlanta-based staff that covers health care found out Tuesday they are getting pink slips — only a few weeks after the network called mass layoffs a “crazy rumor.”
Specific details were not yet known, but a source told Fox News that “basically the whole division” will lose their jobs.
CNN did not respond to multiple requests for comment.
TVNewser, a media watchdog site started by CNN’s Brian Stelter, managed to get confirmation from the network — just in time for a Friday news dump.
“As part of the normal course of business, our newsgathering team made a small restructure earlier this week that ultimately impacts 6-7 employees within CNN’s Health Unit,” a CNN spokesperson told TVNewser’s A.J. Katz.
Many health department staffers met with human resources on Tuesday. Katz noted that correspondent Elizabeth Cohen is also safe.
Staffers are shocked, as the health department is considered successful and CNN recently declared that no layoffs were imminent.
“There are no mass layoffs at CNN. I have no idea where that crazy rumor came from. We have recently offered a voluntary buyout option for employees, and just over 100 people voluntarily decided to take it. That’s it,” executive vice president Allison Gollust told Fox News on May 7. “We have nearly 4,000 people at CNN… and around 100 of them exercised the option for a program that was offered. That’s it. Those are the facts.”